SEO Tutorial include on page and off page mainly on page include , keyword, meta, xml sitemap, image tag, robot txt, permalink and off page do article submission, social media sharing, link building
Introduction: This is very simple path to know entire SEO basic ideas but very comprehensive presentation is designed to help experienced SEOs train those new to the practice over a 2-3 hour, interactive session. It covers the search engine landscape, the SEO process, keyword research, link building and the emergence of social media as a ranking signal. This tutorial explains simple SEO techniques to improve the visibility of your web pages for different search engines, especially for Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
What is SEO?
Search engine optimization is a methodology of strategies, techniques and tactics used to increase the amount of visitors to a website by obtaining a high-ranking placement in the search results page of a search engine (SERP) — including Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines.
Top 5 SEO-Related Questions
- What is Organic SEO?
- What is White Hat SEO?
- What is Black Hat SEO?
- What is SEO Services?
- What is Search Engine Results Page (SERP)?
In short complete On Site Optimization Tutorial:
On site optimization accounts for around twenty five percent (25%) of your entire SEO factor. This is a simplified, Complete On Site Optimization Tutorial for anyone who is new to SEO and wants to know how to make the most out of their on site optimization.
The guide includes the following:
The title tag is one of the oldest attributes there is to a webpage’s layout. Title Tags have been existent since websites came to being. Title tags are also one of the most important attributes that you will ever get to use in your on site optimization. This is a Tutorial to Title Tags.
Without the right keywords, your SEO structure has no foundation and will get you nowhere. Understanding keyword density is one step to leveraging your website’s on-site optimization. This is a Tutorial to Keyword Density.
You’ve got a link here and a link there. The internet is full of links. Each time you click a link, chances are, it means you’re traveling from a certain webpage to another. In SEO, understanding the outbound link is one step forward for your on-site optimization. I’ll also be talking about hidden keywords in your links below. This is a Tutorial for Outbound Links.
Now that we have established outbound links, here’s one more that could help you with your on site optimization – image SEO. How do you do optimization for images? How do you use image alt text? How do you use image title? Does changing an image filename help? This is an Image Optimization Tutorial
Now that we’ve covered how you can optimize images in your website, let’s move on to understanding Sitemaps and its effects to your on site SEO structure. This is a Tutorial to Sitemaps.
URL slugs are the exact address of a specific website. It is the location where webpages are accessed when typing their URL in the address bar. Optimizing URL slugs is not a very hard thing to do. But if you ask me, it is one of the most important things you can do in your on site optimization process. This is a Tutorial for URL Slugs.
Internal linking is all about getting your webpages interconnected with each other. The world wide web is made up of links, But internal linking is more than just about navigation and recommendation. This is a Tutorial for Internal Linking.
Others task related effective SEO:
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Google+
- Join our Google+ Community
- Connect on LinkedIn
- Join our Facebook Group
- Subscribe to our RSS Feed
- Articles we Love on Flipboard
- SEO Services Plans & Pricing
- Learn SEO
In brief Complete On Site Optimization Tutorial:
How seo works:
Web, looking at particular site items (mainly text) to get an idea what a site is about. This brief explanation is not the most precise because as we will see next, search engines perform several activities in order to deliver search results – crawling, indexing, processing, calculating relevancy, and retrieving.
Search engines crawl the Web to see what is there. This task is performed by a piece of software, called a crawler or a spider (or Googlebot, as is the case with Google). Spiders follow links from one page to another and index everything they find on their way. Having in mind the number of pages on the Web (over 20 billion), it is impossible for a spider to visit a site daily just to see if a new page has appeared or if an existing page has been modified, sometimes crawlers may not end up visiting your site for a month or two
Differences Between the Major Search Engines :
The basic principle of operation of all search engines is the same, the minor differences between them lead to major changes in results relevancy. For different search engines different factors are important. There were times, when SEO experts joked that the algorithms of Bing are intentionally made just the opposite of those of Google. While this might have a grain of truth, it is a matter a fact that the major search engines like different stuff and if you plan to conquer more than one of them, you need to optimize carefully.
There are many examples of the differences between search engines. For instance, for Yahoo! and Bing, on-page keyword factors are of primary importance, while for Google links are very, very important. Also, for Google sites are like wine – the older, the better, while Yahoo! generally has no expressed preference towards sites and domains with tradition (i.e. older ones). Thus you might need more time till your site gets mature to be admitted to the top in Google, than in Yahoo!.
SEO – Content is the King
Superior the quality of your content, the higher the ranking you achieve, larger the traffic you gain and greater the popularity of your website. Search engines prefer good quality sites in their index and search results.
Relevant, fresh, and timely content is crucial in attracting visitors to your website. It helps you both draw traffic from search engines and create audience loyalty.
Unique, High-Quality Content:
When people visit a website for information, they want your unique spin on a topic. How is your material or content unique? Is that uniqueness obvious, and easy to find and to understand? Visitors want unique, high-quality site content. It is not only your home page content, but also all the linked pages should have useful and easy-to-understand content.
Now-a-days, search engines have become very smart and they are able to understand complete grammar and complete phrase. Hence while ranking a page against other, the content available on a page matters.
Sites with duplicated, syndicated, or free content are get given red flags by the search engines.
SEO Content Writing (Copy Writing)
SEO Content Writing (also referred as SEO Copy writing), involves the process of integrating keywords and informative phrases which make up the actual content of your website.
While writing your webpage content, the following tips may help you in keeping it better than others.
- The content should be directed for the specified target audience.
- Keyword density is strictly adhered as per search engine guidelines.
- Titles should always be eye-catching, compelling your visitors to read on and want to know what you offer in your website.
- Do not use confusing, ambiguous, and complex language. Use small statements to make your content more understandable.
- Keep your web pages short.
- Organize and distribute the content on the webpages.
- Divide your web page content also into short paragraphs.
Other Advantages of Having Great Content
It is not only SEO you need to think about. Many factors contribute to make your site popular.
- If your site is having something really unique, then people like to suggest it to their friends.
- Other webmasters like to create a link of your site on their sites.
- Your site visitors start trusting on your site and they look forward for the next content update and keep coming again and again.
- Although you are listed out by search engine, a but net surfer will click only that page whose content snippet looks more unique and interesting.
SEO Optimized Keywords:
- Most people enter search phrases that consist of two to five words. Such phrases may be called search phrases, keyword phrases, query phrases, or just keywords. Good keyword phrases are specific and descriptive. The following concepts related to keywords, help in optimizing the keywords on a web page. Keyword Proximity
It refers to the placement of keywords on a web page in relation to each other or, in some cases, in relation to other words with a similar meaning as the queried keyword.
For search engines, that grade a keyword match by keyword proximity, the connected phrase home loans will outrank a citation that mentions home mortgage loans assuming that you are searching only for the phrase “home loans”.
There are many different ways to find keywords for your website. Some good keyword ideas are:
- The potential words, people would use to find your product or service.
- The problems that your prospective customers may try to solve with your product or service.
- Keyword tags on competitor’s websites.
- Visible page copy on competitor’s websites.
- Related search suggestions on top search engines.
- Using an online tool such as Google Keyword Tool
- By analyzing your website carefully and finding out proper keywords. This task can be done by expert SEO copywriters.
- Pay attention to stemming for your keywords – particularly to what the root word is and what Google considers to be a match for that word, when optimizing pages over time.
- You can do brainstorming to identify correct keywords for your site.
Best Places to Put Keywords
Here is a list of places where you should try to use your main keywords.
- Keywords in the <title> tag(s).
- Keywords in the <meta name=”description”>.
- Keywords in the <meta name=”keyword”>.
- Keywords in <h1> or other headline tags.
- Keywords in the <a href=”http://yourcompany.com”>keywords</a> link tags.
- Keywords in the body copy.
- Keywords in alt tags.
- Keywords in <!– insert comments here> comments tags.
- Keywords in the URL or website address.
Google uses a feature called word stemming that allows all forms of the word – singular, plural, verb form as well as similar words to be returned for a given search query.
So if someone types in “house plans”, not only the pages that are optimized for that phrase but the pages that contain all variations of that phrase are returned. For example, “house plan”, “house planning”, “house planner”.
Hope you have some understanding on keywords and you also know how to identify them and where to use them. The next chapter explains how to optimize metatags for better results.
SEO – Link Building
Website Crawler goes to a site again and again whose ranking in a search engine is high. You can verify this fact by putting your site on a high-rank site. If your site link is available on a high-rank website, then you have 99.99% chances that your site is indexed within 24Hrs.
How to Increase Link Popularity?
There are various ways of increasing your website link popularity. You can follow the tips given below, which are easily doable.
- Submit your site in popular search engines manually. Do not go for automated submission.
- Get your site listed in Open Directory Projects like dmog.org, yahoo.com. Getting listed in these directories gives a boost in link popularity and improve search engine ranking in other search engines.
- Provide high quality content so that anyone would naturally link to your site if you are featuring what they want, and that is not available anywhere else.
- Leverage your personal relations with other webmasters. Put your site link on their sites. One-way links often count for more than reciprocal links.
- Participate in Link Exchange Programs. Find top 20 sites doing the same business and contact them for reciprocal links. Link exchange between unrelated sites might affect the ranking of websites in the search engine.
- If you are subscribed in a forum and the forum does not have any restriction to keep your site link as your signature, then it can help you to increase your site popularity.
- Submit your site to bookmark sites like DIGG and Slashdot. Before submitting, please go through their spam policy.
- Write good articles in blogging sites and give a few references of your links within that article.
- Keep providing good content to your site visitors. Try to keep them busy on your site. If possible create forums, newsletters, blogs, etc.
On page and Off-Page Optimization:
On page SEO:
On-Page SEO refers to how well your website’s content is presented to search engines. On page optimization involves ensuring whether a particular webpage is structured in a manner so that it gets found by the search engines for given keywords and key phrases. It not only helps in getting good search engine ranking but also increases overall readability of the site. The best part is that not much has changed about the on-page optimization approach. It can still be improved immediately by tweaking incorrect elements on a webpage.
Off-Page SEO refers to your website’s overall “authority” on the web determined by what other websites say about your site. Off-page optimization is a long-term process and takes time to improve. Simply put, off page is all about your online reputation. Off page optimization includes acquiring backlinks to your page from the authority sites in your niche. Backlinks is the currency of any off-page strategy. And, unlike on-page optimization, off-page optimization efforts are not apparently visible on the webpage itself; it does the background work for a better search result.
Meta Description Tag Tips:
Important tips for good Meta description tags:
- Use keywords in your meta description tag.
- Try not to repeat the words overly often, but try to use multiple syntaxes of your key words.
- There should not be more than 150 characters in a description metatag of a single web page.
- Use a different meta description tag for each page, as each page is different and stands a better chance of being found if you place a good title and description on it.
Meta Keywords Tag Tips:
Please refer to the previous chapter for identifying good keywords. Use the following tips for preparing good meta keywords tags.
- Use synonyms.
- Use unique keywords.
- No need to repeat any given phrase.
- You can repeat a word any number of time, as long as each time it is part of a different phrase.
How to create the right meta description
The meta description is a ~160 character snippet, a tag in HTML, that summarizes a page’s content. Search engines show the meta description in search results mostly when the searched for phrase is contained in the description. Optimizing the meta description is a very important aspect of on-page SEO.
The meta description is an HTML tag, which looks as follows in the HTML:
<meta name=”description” content=”A page’s description, usually one or two sentences.”/>
Robots Meta Tag
The important metatag that you may need sometime is the Robots Metatag which looks like this:
<meta name=”robots” content=”noindex,nofollow”>
SEO – Optimized Anchor
Most search engines consider anchor text of incoming links when ranking pages. Here is an example of anchor:
- The Anchor Title plays a very important role and is seen by most of the search engines. The anchor title should have appropriate keywords. Anchor title helps the site visitors using a balloon, and displaying written text.
- The Anchor Text is another important part, which should be selected very carefully because this text is used not only for search engines but also for navigation purpose. You should try to use the best keywords in your anchor text.
Another example of an anchor could be as follows:
<a href=”otherpage.htm” title=”Anchor Title”> <img src=”image.gif” alt=”keywords” /></a><a href=”otherpage.htm” title=”Anchor Title”>Anchor Text</a>
SEO – Verifying Web Site
There are many SEO experts who claim that SEO is not dependent on site HTML/XHTML verification. But we will discuss various reasons why your site should be W3C Compliance.
HTML/XHTML Verification is Required
There are various reasons to verify your website before hosting it over the internet.
- Any webpage quality depends on how well you have written your webpage.It should be syntactically correct and should pass all the Quality Gates.
- When any search engine does indexing for your web page content, it might get confused if the HTML tags are not written properly, and much of the web page content might not be indexed properly.
- There might be many HTML tags, which you are using in your webpage but then have been depreciated and many of the search engines do not support them.
- Consistency, HTML Code Beauty, Process Compliance are always appreciated by good webmasters
Black Hat SEO:
An SEO tactic, is considered as Black Hat or Spamdexing if it has the following features:
- Attempting ranking improvements that are disapproved by the search engines and/or involve deception.
- Redirecting users from a page that is built for search engines to one that is more human friendly.
- Redirecting users to a page that was different from the page the search engine ranked.
- Serving one version of a page to search engine spiders/bots and another version to human visitors. This is called Cloaking SEO tactic.
- Using hidden or invisible text or with the page background color, using a tiny font size or hiding them within the HTML code such as “no frame” sections.
- Repeating keywords in the metatags, and using keywords that are unrelated to the website content. This is called metatag stuffing.
- Calculated placement of keywords within a page to raise the keyword count, variety, and density of the page. This is called keyword stuffing.
- Creating low-quality web pages that contain very little content but are instead stuffed with very similar keywords and phrases. These pages are called Doorway or Gateway Pages.
- Mirror websites by hosting multiple websites – all with conceptually similar content but using different URLs.
- Creating a rogue copy of a popular website which shows contents similar to the original to a web crawler, but redirects web surfers to unrelated or malicious websites. This is called page hijacking.
SEO Techniques Summary:
You have learnt how to optimize keywords, title, alt, metatags, anchor, and other text from the viewpoint of SEO. You also have learnt the importance of having good content in your website. In the Miscellaneous Techniques chapter, we have suggested you other important points which will help you optimize your website.
In a nutshell, we can have the following points as the ethical strategies for achieving optimal ranking in the search engines:
- All pages must conform to W3C standards.
- Keyword density is never abusive.
- Always include: robots.txt, sitemap.xml, and urllist.txt.
- Keywords are prominent in the Title, Metatags, and Headings.
- ALT tags and Title tags are not forgotten.
- Nomenclature is fundamental to being indexed.